Thursday, February 24, 2011

Valentine's Day

Alex and Ashton made these Valentine's boxes. Aren't they cute? They did it all themselves (except the spray paint on the boxes). The rosy cheeks were Alex's idea. He wanted to make them look like happy robots. Ashton's robot is the one eating candy, and Alex's robot has wire arms. I think it sums them each up perfectly.
We got crafty this year and made our own valentines. Valentine's day = a LOT of candy, so we were trying to do something a little different. We gave out valentines with bouncy balls. There were two different valentines. One said "this Valentine's day have a ball" and the other one said "dear valentine you make my heart bounce".
For the past few years we've done a little treasure hunt with our kids for Valentine's day. I didn't mean for it to become a tradition, but this year, they started asking if we were going to do it again way back at the beginning of January. They were so excited before they went to bed, you would have thought it was Christmas Eve. I'm not kidding. Here's how it works. On Valentine's morning they wake up and see a note in their mailbox. The note tells them to go somewhere else and they have to figure out the clues until they get to their presents. This year we hid notes in the piano bench...
the shower...
and the mixer, among other places. They requested that we make it harder this year. Apparently last year was way too easy.
Their presents were hidden in the fridge in the garage. They got books. They get books every year and they love it. It makes me happy to see them so excited about getting books. They love this little tradition.
I love flowers! Thoughtful of Rob...
We made these delicious little cupcakes. Yum! We (Ashton, Mara and I) love cooking together.

I love Valentine's day. It's such a cheerful holiday. It brightens up the most dreary time of year. I also love to have the opportunity to do nice things for the people I love.

3 comments:

Carly-Barly said...

gee Erin, got any vitamin water? that sure sounds like a fun holiday.

erin said...

Funny Carly. Mara was sick and she wouldn't drink anything, so I got as many drinks as I could trying to coax her.

Chelsea said...

Erin, these are such great ideas! I love the Valentines - forget candy. And the game is so fun, I'll have to try that with the boys next year.

It was so great to see you guys last week. I'll email you today...