Sunday, November 22, 2009

the city so nice they named it twice

For my birthday this year, Rob took me to New York. Yay! It was awesome. We had such a great time. We didn't take very many pictures, though, and the ones we took didn't turn out too well. Sad. There's a lot to say about this trip, but I'll try to make it brief.

We stayed in midtown right by Grand Central Station and the New York City Library
Here we are in Times Square

It was kind of weird to be out at midnight, just the two of us. It seems like I rarely leave the house after dark anymore, let alone with Rob.
(below) we saw this building while cruising around town and thought it was cool
Here are a few highlights of our trip. We went to the financial district, saw ground zero and spent a little bit of time around that area. We went shopping in SoHo (which ended up being a wasted effort since my shopping bags got stolen out of my suitcase at the airport) and then went to the top of the Empire State building at sunset. It was perfect. Later that night we saw South Pacific on broadway. Awesome. We also walked by the Manhattan LDS temple.
The next day we went to Rockefeller Center and cruised up 5th Ave. We also did more shopping. Did I mention that my bags got stolen?

Rob at the New York stock exchange

view of manhattan at sunset from the top of the empire state building


view of Rob from the top of the empire state building :)

(above) self portrait taken at Rockefeller center - behind us is the gigantic christmas tree
(below) no commentary needed

I *heart* NY, and I can't wait to get back there! I'm so glad we got a chance to go. It was a much needed vacation. I love spending time with Rob, and love traveling with him. I'm grateful that we got this time to spend together. I'm also so grateful to have people I can trust my kids with. I don't leave them with just anybody, and I'm glad that I could enjoy this time away from them without worrying about them!

4 comments:

Mrs. B said...

How fun! I love NY! I'm dying to go back soon...we almost planned a trip for my birthday (in a few weeks - the big 30!) but we decided to go on a cruise for Christmas instead. Sorry you bags got stolen - that really sucks :( (And that building you took a picture in front of - its the Flatiron Building, just FYI.)

Chelsea said...

Oh man, Erin, that looks so fun! I'm so glad you guys got to do that together, it's perfect. And I'm devastated for you about the shopping bags. How could this happen??! I need to hear the full story. You are a good sport because that would have ruined the whole trip for me, aha!

Amber said...

That really sucks that your bags got stolen!! At least you had a good time.

Carly-Barly said...

Who did watch your kids...?