Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Rob & Alex Mexico City Trip

Alex and I had such a wonderful trip to Mexico City to visit my parents. It was a week filled with amazing field trips, cultural experiences and a crash course of the Spanish language.

Teotihuacan - Massive Aztec temples just outside of Mexico City.

These shots were from the top of the Temple of the Sun, with the Temple of the Moon in the background.

You can see how big the Temple of the Sun is from this angle. Alex ran almost all the way to the top.

Alex and I on the Temple of the Moon with the Street of the Dead directly behind us.



Portrait shots while taking a break from the hot sun. Grandpa, Grandma and Alex are all leaning against walls that are over 700 years old.

Grandpa Brunt taking medical calls while at the pyramids at Teotihuacan.

Alex and Grandpa in front of the Basilica de Guadalupe. This is where the Catholic priest used Juan Diego and the story of the visitation of the Virgin Mary as the catalyst to demolish the final Aztec temple that was dedicated to the Goddess of the Earth (Mother Earth). Notice that the building was constructed in 1531.


Mexico City Temple. The pictures were taken from the roof of Mom and Dad's apartment building.

Outside of the Anthropology Museum. Right when Grandpa said "smile for the camera", Alex confirmed that I had forgotten about Opposite Day.

Aztec Stone of the Sun or Aztec Calendar.

This is the large stone where the Aztecs performed human sacrifices. It was found at the Templo Mayor, the same place where the Sun Stone was found in 1790.



At the Museum of Anthropology, this structure and waterfall in the center was only supported by the one column.

The ever present symbol of the Jaguar and Alex doing his best impression.

Alex tried to give it gum, but it wanted tacos instead.

Grandma Brunt admiring the symbol of fertility.


Original Aztec artwork.



The Chapultepec Castle with Mom.

This was the Gonzales Family (their son Leonardo got to be Alex's little buddy). They are great people that we got to know and their patience with our constant Spanish language questions really helped our communication skills improve!

This was a great outdoor restaurant that we went to. The food there was delicious and the Mango juice (in front of all of us) was a particular treat.

Alex took detailed notes during the trip in his handy little notebook. This was while waiting for the Metro (the hot, crowded, sardine packed metro car made him pretty nervous).

Grandma Brunt doing her best impression of Nacho Libre. The Mexican wrestling masks were so plentiful that we could not help but to bring one home for each family member.

The Three Amigos. Alex made two little friends while in Mexico...he seems to fit right in!



Mexico City Temple Visitors Center.

The famous painting by Diego Rivera of the Aztec city of Tenochtitlan (present day Mexico City).


Three Brunt generations in front of the first Spanish Cathedral that was build on the foundation of and from the stones of Montezuma's palace.


This is Alex standing at one of the entrance doors to the same cathedral.

After a week of fun with Grandma and Grandpa Brunt, we were on our way back home. I do have to say that Grandma Brunt looks really good for a 63 year old.

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

Rob, these are such great pictures! Wow, what an awesome experience for Alex. Mike was so jealous after he talked to you, he was like, "I'm taking Henry to Mexico asap."

It looks like you had a lot of fun and saw so many amazing things. And yes, Diane looks pretty dang good for 63. Great, in fact.

Chelsea said...

Also, we're dying laughing at Ashton's latest comments. He is so nuts!

Jani said...

That cathedral looks awesome. Looks like you guys had a good trip!!!

Marnie said...

Beautiful pictures! Love the temple shots. I would LOVE to visit Mexico City. And how fun that you could have a father-son outing.

Elizabeth said...

Rob and Alex

I loved reading about your trip. I sounds amazing.

When I was 12, my family went on a trip to Mexico City. I remember walking through the Anthropology Museum while my dad read every placard to us - in SPANISH. (None of us spoke Spanish.) It was a long and painful day.

Seeing your pictures of the place made me wish I had paid better attention - and makes me think that I should maybe go back.

What a great trip for you two!

Elizabeth F.